mickeyporkpies

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Vivitar DVR-390H

Until they release this excellent product in the UK I though I needed something to digitise my videos.

Vivitar DVR-390H PVR (Personal Video Recorder)device with camera, MP3 player and data storage all in one!
This is a review based on the unit I bought.
Video quality on record is good, considering the plasticy camera bolt on, it produces nice images although the snapshot button is badly designed.

The menu system take some getting used to, poor use of buttons make navigation an experience! Playback quality is good on the 3.5 LCD, crisp, sound is ok but external sources recommended if you want any volume.



Biggest bugbear for me was the AV recording is only available using the docking station, something that isn't clear from descriptions and particularly a problem as I was hoping to use it for recording with an external bulletcam. In addition it is advertised as an MEPG4 recorder but in fact uses Microsoft asf format which is a proprietry implimentation of the MPEG4 standard and can limit you if you want to play other clips not created on this device. No conversion software is included which would have dealt with that problem.

For the price it's a nice unit and the 20gb is enough for most, with drag and drop can be used just as an expensive external usb drive!



I would invest in a spare battery if you want to use it mobile as the reported 3 hours should be treated with the marketing contempt it's due.


Apart from the cop out using the docking station to deliver AV in/out and the ridiculous limitations of asf, both which are not clearly stated in reviews or advertising on this product, this is a good buy.


If they bring our an AV to docking socket cable I would be content but if that isn't a requirement I would say you would be very happy with this for the price. Support is pretty much non existent currently with all Vivitar websites slow to post any information. Email in the UK bounces back (it uses a virgin.net which is surprising) so looks like they aren't geared up yet which is somewhat amazing in this day and age. I did fire off one to their press office about the slightly misleading advertising and await a response (don't hold your breath)

Update

A bit more playing and a few more issues. I can't believe that using the camera function as a video camera requires you to use the external mike for sound. There is no in built microphone? Worst is yet to come. I have tried to record DVD's to the unit and the sound is choppy (seems to be out of sync) Trying just 10 minutes worth seems ok but hardly useful? I am trying to find someone to support this. If I don't get a response I fear that I will be sending this back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home